Tuesday, October 18, 2005

+ bAcKsTaB +

What does backstab mean actually? www.dictionary.com defines it as:
To attack (someone) unfairly, especially in an underhand, deceitful manner: “Some backstab each other and threaten to settle their differences with a punch”

Uh... so what does it mean?
To me, it means talking bad about people behind their backs with the intention of blackening their names. But what if you are doing exactly the same thing, but without that intention? Still a backstab right? haiz... what if you are just grumbling to someone? Like this....

Me: Grr... I'm so pissed!
Pal: Why? What happened?
Me: Aiyah! I have this friend loh.... so irritating one!
Pal: How come?
Me: You see? she.... blah blah blah...! So how can i not be angry??!!
Pal: Oh... who's that?
Me: Aiyah.. it's XXX loh!
Pal: Ooooo... Aiya just simmer down lah... she's like that one lo....
Me: Haiz....

Is the above considered as backstabbing?? I dunno... i'd always thought it's just grumbling... I mean of coz the best scenario is....

Me: Grr.. I'm so pissed!
Pal: Why? What happened?
Ma: Aiyah nothing... nevermind... not worth talking about...
Pal: Ok...

So this is the most moral way... but thing is, most likely i'll go crazy or just die in my own flames...
To me, backstabbing is something like this....

Me: Hey hey! I tell you something!
Pal: What?
Me: You know XXX? Wah kaoz! She's so blah blah blah one eh!
Pal: Oh really?!
Me: Yah! Can't tell right?
Pal: Yah... Never thought she's this kind of person...
Me: That's right! so next time you be careful ah! And you better warn all your friends too!
Pal: Definitely!

So how? this last scenario is one that i dont think i'd ever been in before... I mean i'd never tell tales about my friends like this before... though people have told me about others like this... actually to believe or not, it's up to the listener... i'm sure everyone has their own mind to decide if the one being talked bad about is really that bad or just adopt a sitting on the fence attitude... it's not like they will believe everything they are been told about...

A backstabbing only works when the listener chose to believe... so....
PS: no point is made... just a note only....

Anyway, can someone please tell me if the 1st scenario be considered a backstab?
Well... in my whole life, i guessed i may have UNINTENTIONALLY or INDIRECTLY backstabbed someone... i mean, even if without that intention, a backstab is still a backstab....

So, i hereby sincerely apologize to anyone and everyone whom i had unintentionally backstabbed, though i hope there is no one...
If i really did, you know i don't mean it...
Cheers!

No comments: